Friday, April 9, 2010

An Audio Experience...

The fun thing about finally having a CD player in my car is that I have an excuse to listen to all of those random mix CDs from forever ago lying around. Seriously, I have a ton. From back in high school when I didn't have a burner so I begged my friends to make CDs for me. And I don't bother to pop them into my computer, because I'm usually doing other things.

A list of ten oldies but goodies re-discovered today:

1. Away From The Sun by Three Doors Down...I used to think this song was SO epic. It kind of still is, in a nostalgic sort of way.

2. Wasting My Time by Default...I was really into that "alternative" stuff in high school. Pop alternative. Ha!

3. Big Country by Dashboard Confessional...actually it's a cover. But I like both versions. Except that DC's version is IDENTICAL to the original, which I always think is a little pointless.

4. Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes...YES. Oh my gosh, this song! I used to feel so guilty listening to it. A man writing a personal ad to find a new girlfriend, and when he receives a reply it ends up being...get this...his CURRENT girlfriend! The things they never knew about one another! *tear* Lovely.

5. Leather & Lace by Stevie Nicks and Don Henley...Take the song or leave it, but Don Henley's voice gives me happy shivers. "Give to me your leather, take from me my lace..." Yeah, in hindsight? Weird song.

6. Desert Rose by Sting...Hahahahahaha! *siiiiigh* Wow. Yeah, that's all.

7. Crazy For This Girl by Evan & Jaron...Remember this one, girls? I used to wish to high heaven that some guy would sing a mournfully acoustic version of this to me. My tastes have....changed a bit, since then.

8. Dare You To Move by Switchfoot...When that little sound effect at the beginning starts--that ice-cubes-against-glass sound--I get little butterflies in my stomach. This song was an extraordinary anthem in high school. I owe a lot to Switchfoot, oddly enough...

9. Jumper by Third Eye Blind...Honestly, who doesn't love a little Third Eye Blind every once and awhile? The voice of a generation, y'all. Or something.

10. Acoustic #3 by The Goo Goo Dolls...The GGDs were another band that was very instrumental in my formative years. And this song...short as it may be...was the epicenter. (Though, for the record, none of the specifics of the song have anything to do with my life...but it was the EMOTION, don't you see?)

I'm not going to even mention Creed. Ohhh *shudder* the Creed stuff. It was all over my favorite CDs in high school. Infesting, more like. And Evanescence. And a wee bit of N*Sync which had held over from middle school.

In other news, I'm reading Lord Dunsany. You should, too.

-The GLS

No comments:

Post a Comment