Friday, March 19, 2010

Vertigo & Vancouver

Classic movie night! This time one that I had seen before, but had NOT liked. Yes, Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo".

Now, I LOVE Hitch. I love "North By Northwest", and "Dial M For Murder". My affection truly lies in "Rear Window", however, because I honestly think that movie is a masterpiece of creativity, writing, pacing...everything. Grace Kelly, James Stewart...such a fantastic movie.

But when I saw Vertigo for the first time a few years ago I didn't like it. I thought it was odd, and unsatisfying, and less "Hitchy".

Well, my thoughts were confirmed after watching it again. I tried to keep an open mind this time around, but I have to say, I'm not a fan of Vertigo. I understand that it was a groundbreaking film in a technical sense, and that's fine. But don't expect me to love it the way I love Rear Window.

Could also be the fact that everyone praises Vertigo to the skies. Something about that bothers me. No one manages to explain why they think Vertigo is the best thing to hit the cinema since the first projector.

Anyway, in other news, classes are done and spring break is upon me. I was planning on going down to Portland to visit some friends, but money and other factors have curtailed those plans.

I was bummed, of course, because I want to see my Oregonian friends, but also because I wanted to get out of the house and have a proper vacation. I think Ireland has spoiled me.

So I sat in my room, thinking, "Well, darn. I really wish I could go visit somewhere for spring break. Somewhere foreign. Wouldn't that be great?"

Ho hum.

Oh wait...

Canada is three hours away.

So, I'm going to Vancouver for two nights over spring break! It's (surprisingly) less expensive than a trip down to Portland, but I still get the feeling of being away from home for a few days. It's been ages since I was in Vancouver. So long ago that I actually don't remember it well.

If you are a Portland friend: Take heart. I will see you soon, sometime this summer. I need to save a little money first so I can have a proper visit with you all. :)

Let the weekend begin!

-The GLS

No comments:

Post a Comment