Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dreams & Finality

FINALS. ARE. DONE.

Phew, it's nice to have that little load off my back. Not that my finals were particularly awful, but they required a lot of attention. I don't like that. But I felt good about all three, so hopefully that "feeling good" will translate into a grade that is equally satisfying.

In any case, I've been doing a bit of dreaming today. Probably because I've noticed that my schooling is drawing to a close (for now, anyway) and I'm hoping to graduate in June with an Associate's Degree.

If you had told me in high school that in 4-6 years I WOULDN'T be attending a four-year and that I WOULDN'T be graduating with a tangible degree and I WOULDN'T be sure of where I was going, I probably would have laughed in your face. Because in high school I was sure of a lot of things.

It's easy to get caught up in the fear of what I'm going to do with the rest of my life, especially since an Associate's Degree is as general as general can get, and therefore doesn't point me down a particular path.

However, the more I think about it, the more I like the fact that the world is pretty much laid bare before me (financial constraints notwithstanding, of course).

So, in the spirit of gutsiness, a little dreaming...

1. I want to knit my own socks.
2. I want to get dreds, wear a peasant skirt, and tour with the Psalters for awhile.
3. I want to bake five batches of chocolate chip cookies and then give them away to unsuspecting neighbors.
4. I want to live in a hobbit house.
5. I want to travel to any country the name of which I can't pronounce.
6. I want to publish a book.
7. I want to publish another book in an entirely different genre under a pseudonym.
8. I want to act shocked when my fans realize I wrote both.
9. I want to be the woman that people know will always have the kettle on.
10. I want to learn the mandolin.
11. I want to play in a bluegrass band outside on a sunny Sunday while wearing a floral cotton dress.
12. I want to teach my children how to make the perfect loaf of soda bread. And let them play with the flour, first, because flour is fun.
13. I want to never shy away from color.
14. I want to ride the train across the country, then turn and ride it back.
15. I want to learn how to drive a stick-shift.
16. I want to be the inventor of the first fruitcake that people actually LIKE.
17. I want to never run out of Pilot G-2 pens, to the degree that they fairly spill out of my pockets and can be found in any nook and cranny of my home.
18. I want to be the coolest aunt/mother/grandma on the planet by being totally and completely anti-hip, and loving it.
19. I want to be described as an "anachronism" at least once.
20. I want to be a Gutsy Little Shit until the day I die.

-The GLS

No comments:

Post a Comment