Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Two Updates & Symbology

Well, hello!

Just thought I'd update two of my knitting projects, because I've been remiss (read: lazy) in uploading pictures of certain projects.

The two I'm most excited about are 1) my new and improved coffee cozy with the clasp-enclosure, something I've never tried before, and 2) my first Fair Isle hat.
Both projects were/are knitted with yarn in my stash that I'm trying to be rid of, so I feel really quite accomplished that I'm using stuff up.

First of all, the coffee cozy. It's knit with a pale blue mystery yarn that I got from the yarn store near my house for dirt cheap. I'm pretty sure it was $2 yarn. But it's definitely wool and is nice and cushy. The silver clasps cost more than the yarn, but it was worth it for the effect. The picture doesn't do it justice, I'm afraid, since my photography skills, camera, and lighting (I always take pictures at night...) are not the greatest. But here it is:



Not bad, eh? That cable was also something I haven't tried before, called a Horseshoe cable. In all, it's nice having a new coffee cozy for myself, as my old one was pretty ugly (it was my first attempt at one, so I can't be too hard on myself).

The second project, still in progress, is my "Rose Red" fair isle hat. For the yarn I'm actually using four different kinds and double-stranding for each color, and it's ALL leftover yarn from something else. So, for the off-white/grey portion I'm using Lion Brand Wool-Ease in "Wheat" doubled with Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool in "Oatmeal". Then for the red portion I'm using Vanna's Choice in "Cranberry" (leftover from my brother's Jayne Cobb hat) doubled with a mystery yarn from a hat I bought in Ireland that unraveled before I even got it home. It's nice to recycle.
And here's the hat, so far:



Yeah, it's a lot of work. But it's SO worth it! I can't wait to see it all finished, even though I have a terrible feeling it'll be very big and slouchy because I'm ignoring gauge just so I can get rid of all this ridiculous yarn.

In other news, I'm continuing to knit with "The Boondock Saints" in the background. Everyone needs their guilty pleasure movie, the one that respectable people arch a quizzical eyebrow at them for watching. The Saints is mine. Along with Zoolander.

Phew, I am tired, and I still need to go over my slam poem for Poetry class tomorrow. Time for a little scholasticism.

-The GLS

PS: Say it with me. "I think the word you're searching for is symbolism. What's the symbolism there?"

1 comment:

  1. ahhh, the boondock saints. excellent guilty pleasure choice.

    there was a FIREFIGHT!!!

    ReplyDelete