Sunday, February 28, 2010

Faith & Mulct

Listenin' to a little "Falling Down Blues" by Ramblin' Jack Elliott. Gorgeous song.

I learned a new word, today! The word is "mulct", which means a fine or a penalty. I have NEVER seen that word before (and that's saying something, because I'm in the business of words). But it's fun to say. Say it ten times. Mulct, mulct, mulct...

Anyway, I also did something kind of gutsy today: I rededicated myself to faith.

By that I don't mean that I "re-became" a Christian. I gave my life to Christ years ago and I've been working on that ever since. And I'm not perfect (no one ever is) but I endeavor to follow after Christ's example and His will for my life.

No, what I mean by rededication to faith is that I decided again to give myself over to that freefalling feeling of believing that not only does God love me, but He's sharing with me what life can be in little beautiful pieces.

I'm not really sure how to explain it, but it's everywhere in my life. New songs, old songs, when I write, when I sing, when I go walking, when I meet someone new, foods, family, work, school...all of these things give me delight on a daily basis when I give myself over to faith. The belief that God is good and He is making all things good through Himself.

Have you ever had one of those moments that makes you pause, and it's SO BEAUTIFUL or SO AWESOME or SO EPIC that you just want to wrap it up and stick it in your pocket? I truly believe that God is behind those moments. It's like the tiniest glimpse into what true perfection is. It explodes inside of you and makes you want to laugh and cry and spin around in circles all at the same time.

And life becomes a beautiful story, don't you see? I can't give myself over to cynicism. I have a very hard time with cynics. Because even though the world is dark and there is hate and heartache, I can't help but see the fingerprints of God everywhere. And it's astounding when you have the faith to look for them.

Call me a dreamer if you want, I don't care.

I'm going to turn on Ramblin' Jack's blues again and give myself over to joy in the form of well-crafted art.

God is in that, too.

-The GLS

No comments:

Post a Comment