Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Inspired & Ill-Advised, Perhaps

My big news today is that I have made two literary breakthroughs, if you could call them that.

First, I wrote my first villanelle! It's a type of poetry. And it's kind of personal, so I'm not going to share it. But it's fun to know that I can write one if I want to!

Two, is that I've started a new novel. Yikes. It's kind of a subgenre western, oddly. A genre I don't write in often, but I'm REALLY enjoyin' the droppin' of the g's in order to imitate a drawl. It's fun to do such things. And it's fun to smush genres together and hope they get along. And if they don't, the more's the better, because conflict is fun.

The catch is that I was in the middle of my FebNoWriMo novel, wasn't I? Yes I was. But the problem with that novel is that I've been overthinking it for four years. I know the characters and the settings too well, and they didn't want to go anywhere because they were frozen in my brain in a certain formation already.

But this new novel...while not perfect, as I still have no idea where I'm going with it...is one-up on the other one because it features characters I'm still getting to know and setttings that are "foreign", for lack of a better word. I don't know. I'm of the mind that as long as I'm writing it's all good. Something that prompts me to open Word every evening is aces in my book.

However, creativity is exhausting. I think it's time for bed...

-The GLS

No comments:

Post a Comment