Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cunning & Celebratory Gumbo

(I just noticed that "Celebratory Gumbo" sounds like either a band name or an album title that you'd hear on KEXP. Get on that, indie musicians.)

The secret is out! My Top Secret Knitting Project has been delivered to its proper recipient, which means I can blog about it! (Though, technically, this gutsiness happened yesterday, but let's not split hairs.)

Brother Bear (whom you may remember from a few posts back) had his birthday this past weekend, and I decided that for his gift I would knit him something....but what to knit?

A cursory pass around the Internet quickly revealed the answer to me.

As Brother Bear is an ardent Firefly/Serenity fan, I realized that my only recourse was to knit him up a Jayne Cobb hat, post-haste. For those who don't know what the Jayne Cobb hat is, there are some fine pictures, an explanation, and the pattern I used at the link above. I find myself fortunate that there's a person in this world obsessed enough to take such diligent notes.

There was only one foreseeable problem with this plan: I had never made a hat, knitted in the round, done a Twisted German cast-on, or made a pom-pom before. Ever.

Sounds like a job for the Gutsy Little Knitter!

Eight hours later, here's the result:



Vivid, eh? Haha! My very first hat. And this yarn made me really happy. I don't usually work with primary colors, much. And perhaps Ma Cobb might have found the hues a bit much, but I don't have the same access to faded and antique-looking yarns that she undoubtedly has, probably owning her own sheep and all.



Pretty cunning, eh?

Shiny, captain!

In other news, my gutsy studying paid off! That was probably the best mid term I ever had, and I celebrated by eating chicken gumbo (what else, right?).

Also, FebNoWriMo has begun, and I'm up to 1,040 words, currently. Hmm...I'm gonna have to do better than that if I want to reach 50,000 by the end of the month. Let's hope I can get a few more before I turn in for the night.

I've had "Hero of Canton" stuck in my head ever since making that darn hat. "The hero of Canton, the man they call Jaaaayne!"

-The GLS.

No comments:

Post a Comment