Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Word on The Word. Yo.

Scripture memorization is one of those funny things.

If you've never tried it, then just take my word for it.

One knows that it's important, and once one STARTS to memorize it comes fairly easily, but just the word MEMORIZATION sends people--meaning me--into a tailspin. Right back to high school drama, which I absolutely ADORED. I loved the being on stage, I loved the backstage craziness, I loved the people, I loved the long days and cramming homework into all of it. Rawr, good stuff.

The only catch? I didn't like to memorize.

It's not that I COULDN'T memorize, I just had a very stubborn streak that refused to see the fun in memorization. It was too much pressure and not enough action. It was boring. It was stuffy.

In any case, now that I'm trying to memorize bits of pieces of God's Word, I'm finding that I'm enjoying all of the same hang-ups and misgivings all over again. But this time, there's the extra added benefit of knowing that memorizing a play may be the biggest deal for a few weeks, but memorizing a scripture passage? Kind of a big deal forever.

So here goes. Without looking, Ephesians 6:10-13 (I need to memorize to 20 eventually, but we're taking baby steps, here) in the ESV:

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places."

*does a quick check against the wee little green ESV sitting nearby*

Whew! Pretty darn close. Verses 14-20, here we come!

Gutsy scripture memorization? We're blogging about gutsy scripture memorization?

Er, yeah. For now.

-The GLS

No comments:

Post a Comment