Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Brightly Lit Corners.

Go and get yourself some Emmylou Harris to listen to. Now. I'll wait.

...

Okay, here's the thing: my desk is currently aglow between three candles and one Little Red Kerosene Lamp That Could, so I'm pretty much in my version of earthly heaven.



(For the record...that red thing is not the kerosene lamp. It's a glassybaby.)

I took the day off of work, today. I also got a lot done, between marking up stuff for our impending garage sale (a several-hour process) and shopping for new jeans (highly important). But I also had time to pick up some new essentials.

I stopped by the bookstore today and made a beeline for the cookbooks, and picked up one that is entirely devoted to grilled cheese sandwiches. No joke. 50 recipes for different kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches, plus a few soups, salads, and toppings to go with. The pictures are making me drool all over the keyboard. Please excuse. I also picked up a Vegetarian cookbook out of mere curiosity at the range of things possible without meat, and also because the amount of curry recipes within make me want to cry. In a good way.

Besides, I have an uncanny ability to befriend vegetarians, usually without my immediate knowledge, and I'm sure I'll meet many more over the course of the rest of my life. Best to be prepared as a cook for whatever life throws your way, right? Right.

The mixture of smells in my room right now is making me dizzy. Kerosene and two scented candles, plus the Eucalyptus-Spearmint room spray I may or may not have over-sprayed in an effort to fully enjoy the scent. So sue me, it's nice.



Yep, this is a little corner of my world. In this picture alone you can see three hurricane lamps, if you look hard enough. And lots of candles. And the giraffes that my dad brought back from Kenya for me. And one of the set of six drinking glasses I may or may not have stolen from my married friends. But they didn't want them, as I recall, so I think we're good. That teacup and that fan were both my Nana's. I'll let you decide which of the two is actually authentically old. That purple feather is the top of my quill pen, and ring is my Claddagh. And that pitcher full of stuff? It has a bouquet of daisies and cornflowers (fake) in it, as well as knitting needles (not fake). Then there's the flowerpot full of pens and pencils, and the wall covered in photos. And my (not quite exact) quote from Rabbi Heschel: "I asked for wonder, and He gave it to me."

I think everyone needs a corner like this one. Well, not exactly like it. But something similar. Where everything just seems right. And good.

Anyway. About to pass out from the fumes. G'night.

-The GLS

No comments:

Post a Comment