Monday, August 2, 2010

Latchkeys & Light Pollution.

Tonight was supposed to be an Aurora Borealis sighting here in Washington. I looked, and I didn't see it. Interesting how your eyes show you what you want to see though, isn't it? I kept SWEARING I saw a smear of light, or a ripple in the sky, or something to show that I wasn't sitting on my roof for nothing.

To be honest, even though I'm fairly sure I didn't see Aurora, I wasn't on the roof for nothing. I saw a half-dozen spectacular shooting stars and some sort of lightning storm in the east, somewhere. I think it might be Lake Chelan, which seems unlikely, but it's the only place east of here that was expecting thunderstorms tonight. And yes, I looked.

I like the sky. I like that it's huge, and I like that scientists don't really know what to do with it, sometimes. I like that Seattle weathermen are usually wrong. I like that I can see a lightning storm that's happening miles away.

What I don't like: the fact that we think we know everything there is to know, and when we don't know we come up with a half-assed theory instead of simply saying "I don't know". I also don't like light pollution. Boo on light pollution.

But supposedly the Aurora is going to flare up again at 1:00am. Am I going to stay up? Do you even have to ask?

See you sleepily tomorrow.
-The GLS

PS: Latchkey connection? "Dial M for Murder"...a GREAT Hitchcock film with a freakin' incongruous score. Go watch it...and ignore the music. I think Dmitri Tiomkin was having an off day.

No comments:

Post a Comment