Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ranchy Eggs & Novel Ideas

This morning began with great potential for gutsiness. Clear skies, the mountains looming over Puget Sound outside my window. Perfect.

I drove to pick up my good friend Indefish, whose blog can be found here, so we could head off to Greenlake for church, all the while planning what sorts of gutsiness we could get up to. The plan became to go to a restaurant I had never tried before, called the Honey Hole, in a location downtown that I don't often frequent (Capitol Hill). Perfect gutsiness!

But by the time church got out and we noted the rain that had crept up on us from behind and was now shouting "BOO" in a very self-satisfied rainy-sounding voice, we decided that a drive downtown was not in the cards. And since the project was meant to be mine, I didn't want to guilt Indefish into driving in the name of gutsiness. It wouldn't be fair.

Instead we went to place in our hometown that we love, called Red Twig. It's an adorable little cafe that serves coffee and pastries but also has a decent lunch and breakfast menu. Every time I go to Red Twig I get the same thing: a pesto crepe with turkey, fresh tomatoes, and mozzarella. Absolutely divine.

But, in the spirit of gutsiness, I decided it was time to try something different. So instead of my favorite crepe I ordered their huevos rancheros from the breakfast menu along with a vanilla latte (though I tend to avoid coffee as a general rule, I do enjoy it once and awhile as a treat). The huevos rancheros include steamed eggs, black beans, rancho sauce, pepperjack and cheddar cheeses all served on a flour tortilla with a small cup of salsa.

Review: I give two thumbs up to the huevos rancheros. Very tasty and the perfect size, not an incredibly large serving. The salsa--which I presume is homemade--is fairly spicy and a nice complement to the meal. The rancho sauce has a nice blend of spices.

So, all in all, not a bad decision. Something new, if not the gutsiest thing ever. And the Honey Hole will still be waiting for me on another day, I'm sure.

In other news, though I feel bad dropping another random link in here, I would like to highlight NaNoWriMo, which is a novel-writing "contest" that happens in November. It's a fantastic time, and a really great exercise if you enjoy writing.

I enjoyed NaNoWriMo so much last year that I've decided to do another one starting on February 1st. Indefish will be keeping me accountable, and you can too! I'll be keeping a wordcount here on the blog; I need to reach 50,000 words by midnight on February 28th (it is NOT a leap year), or Indefish will punish me in a terribly inhumane way. I shudder to think.

Anyway! Tomorrow is the first Gutsy Monday. I wonder what sort of treasures it will hold?

-The GLS

1 comment:

  1. I'm currently stockpiling terribly inhumane punishment techniques. :) good friend that I am, you know.

    ReplyDelete