Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fair Isle & Restarts

I nearly didn't make it, tonight! I was a bit busy with my latest gutsy endeavor...

I've been knitting for about a year, now, and I've tried little things here and there to improve my knitting whenever I feel up to it.

But there's always been one technique that has both piqued my interest and managed to intimidate me, no matter how "easy" everyone says it is, and that is Fair Isle. Obviously, beautiful patterns can be and have been made with Fair Isle knitting, and I want to be able to say I've done it. So, I gave it a try.

Wanna see?



Pretty, huh? You can be honest.

Actually, I'm totally kidding. That's the BACK of the knitting. But see the lines? They're called floats, and I'm actually pretty proud of them because that's what they're supposed to look like.

And HERE'S the front:



Cool, yeah? And you know what? It IS easier than it looks. :)

I probably would have gotten a bit further on this tonight except that I had to frog (unravel) it and start over because my pattern wasn't written correctly. Phooey. But that's okay! Sometimes it's good to start over, in life as well as with knitting. Give yourself a restart button, you know? Don't forget what you've already done, but don't be laden with it. This can be true of lots of things.

Well, since this is a later-written post this will have to do, for now. Tomorrow's gutsiness is still unwritten...

-The GLS

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sallster! This is Megan Reese - I have been following your blog, and I love this knitting design! It actually DOES look really hard, I'm impressed -- although now I know, thanks to you, that it's not as hard as it looks. ;) Way to go with your gutsiness!! Love you!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete